Today is the “DAY OF LOVE” or so it is celebrated in the states here. So, Im curious, who’s getting married today? Anyone? How about engaged?
Im quite the anti-consumerism type and I really hate how holidays are turned into a mass day or season of the media and world telling you that you have to spend money to make people happy or to be in love. So my husband and I boycott holidays such as Valentines. Sorry to disappoint! I dont think we should need a reason to show love and kindness to each other. It should be a daily thing. That’s just us. : ) If you enjoy candy and flowers, more power to you! Live it up!
So here are 8 sure to knock your socks off facts about Valentines day! I wanted to share these with you because they are quite interesting!
1. 6 million couples get engaged on Valentine’s Day! Wow! That is a ton of excited chaps down on their knee!
2. 1,067 couples get married on Valentine’s Day. That is quite a bit less than I was expecting after knowing how many couples get engaged!
3. 1 billion cards are sent each year, the second most sent on a holiday, but not more than Christmas.
4. The most popular gift is Chocolate and Flowers. That isn’t really surprising, but it had to be in there!
5. 220 million roses are produced in preparation for Valentine’s Day! Holy long-stemmed roses that’s a lot!
6. 20 % of Americans splurge on jewelry.
7. Married couples don’t try as hard as dating or engaged couples. Hmm I wonder why that is? Any thoughts?
8. Americans spend an average of 17.3 BILLION per year on Valentine’s Day.
There is surprisingly less marriages on Valentines day than I had thought there would be! But apparently its a perfectly romantic day to pop the question! It does make my heart sad though, the amount of money spent on material items that will wilt and be thrown away. Im sure many people love this holiday, and Im not saying you are a horrible person if you do, but I challenge myself to look deeper into what it means to love someone, and so, I extend this challenge to you also.
So what does it mean to love someone then if Candy and flowers aren’t it?
I know that its fun and its great to enjoy things like this, but I can’t help but think, what an impact it would make to help people instead? 17.3 BILLION. What about the hungry? What about clothing the homeless? I think about love and where it first came from. It was Jesus. He loves us so intensely, and so unconditionally. 1 John 4:9 “We love because He first loved us.” He shows us how to love. Jesus example of love was like none other before Him when he walked this earth. Even though He is a King and is God, He humbly chose to live as a servant to others, washing the feet of His disciples and laying hands on lepers whom no one would touch. He ate and hung out with the outcast, and the lowest of people that everyone else considered worthless. He gave the ultimate sacrifice for love, even for those who hated Him. What if we lived like Jesus? What if we loved people even if they weren’t nice to us? Or if we loved people even though we get nothing in return? Jesus said, “You have heard it said that you should love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
So instead of Gabe and I buying gifts for each other we are going to give to others. I encourage you to start this trend! It is so rewarding to love others in this way. I promise you will like it. : )
How do you show love? What do you think of these Valentine’s Day facts?